[extropy-chat] Greg Benford on climate change and Crichton

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 19:51:17 UTC 2005

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050121/news_lz1e21benford.html

ON CLIMATE CHANGE
Fear of reason

By Gregory Benford and Martin Hoffert
January 21, 2005

Michael Crichton has taken us to fantastic places like Jurassic Park and
into realistic ones, as in his TV series "ER." But now he ventures into
rugged scientific terrain, and loses his footing.

Crichton's new novel, "State of Fear," takes on global warming and climate
change. He lards it with arguments against the reality of climate change
and includes many references to the scientific literature, including one of
ours. In a recent speech to the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco he even
cited our paper from the peer-reviewed journal Science. Such attention can
be heartwarming to scientists, but not this time – because Crichton gets
the science wrong.

Despite "State of Fear's" long bibliography, Crichton seems to have
actually read only secondary sources, and does not understand them. He
writes that our paper "concluded that there is no known technology that
will enable us to halt the rise of carbon dioxide in the 21st century." But
we didn't say that. Instead, we outlined plenty of technologies that must
be further developed to stop a probable several-degree rise in global
temperatures. We called for a Manhattan Project-style effort to explore
technologies we already have.

Perhaps because he wanted a dramatic, contrarian theme, Crichton did not
let facts get in the way. For example, he argues in "State of Fear" that
our oceans are not warming. This is important because, as Arthur Clarke
reminded us, it makes little sense to call our planet "Earth" when 70
percent of its surface is ocean. Not only are the oceans warming at the
surface, there is well-documented and pronounced subsurface warming and
heat storage – as predicted 20 years ago and consistent with atmosphere and
ocean climate models.

He's wrong, too, when he claims that a simple fact – that cities are warmer
than countryside, leading to a "heat island effect" – has been ignored in
climate temperature data taken near cities. He misleads his readers when he
has his characters say that temperatures measured by Earth satellites are
inconsistent with global warming derived from thermometers on land. To
"document" his claims, Crichton shows many plots downloaded from the
NASA/GISS Web site – but he misrepresents the data.

Further, he invokes the pseudo-sciences of eugenics and Lysenkoism (in the
former Soviet Union) as examples of mainstream scientists being led astray.
But these were politically driven ideologies. They have more in common with
the voodoo science of the climate contrarians than the dominant view of
atmospheric scientists and geophysicists. In keeping with many relevant
professional societies, like the American Geophysical Union, we are
convinced that the fossil fuel greenhouse is already here, and has the
potential to vastly transform terrestrial climate for millennia to come.

To believe Crichton and company, you have to believe that there's a vast
conspiracy – involving the editors of Science, Nature, Scientific American
and some dozen other peer-reviewed journals – to exclude and reject climate
skeptics papers. The skeptics mainly publish books and on Web sites,
avoiding journals.

The reality of climate change triggered by continued fossil fuel burning –
and increasingly coal – threatens entrenched energy interests. Some of
these lobby against it with the ferocity of the National Rifle Association.
Desperate for scientific cover, some opponents have seized on Crichton's
fiction. Incredibly, in a Jan. 4 speech, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Oklahoma,
invoked "State of Fear" as an argument against the bipartisan
McCain-Lieberman energy bill – which for all its failings acknowledges the
reality of global warming. "Dr. Crichton," said Inhofe, "a medical doctor
and scientist, very cleverly weaves a compelling presentation of the
scientific facts of climate change – with ample footnotes and documentation
throughout – into a gripping plot." But Crichton freely admitted that
Saturday afternoon movie cliffhangers inspired his plot.

The New York Times Book Review summary of "State of Fear" – "Reverse
eco-terrorists create natural disasters to convince the public that global
warming is real" – underscores that Crichton is redirecting fear of global
warming to anger at the messengers.

This is a tragedy. Our Science paper argues that responding in a
technically innovative way to the climate/energy challenge can generate
countless jobs and economic growth in the United States.

Much is at stake if we embrace "State of Fear's" take on global warming.
Antarctic ice cores show that our civilization has enjoyed a long,
comfortable climate for the last 10,000 years. To disturb this with a
sudden rise in temperature could soon endanger us. Worse, there are some
clues that we could tilt the global equilibrium and not be able to get back
to the balmy era we've enjoyed throughout human history. That would be a
catastrophe dwarfing the recent tsunami's destruction.

The climate/energy issue failed to surface in the last election not because
it's unimportant but because we fail to sense the urgency. In large part
this is because of deniers like Crichton, resulting in a U.S. policy that
is "aprs moi le déluge."

Still we don't sandbag against the floods of tomorrow. Fairly comfortable
now, we live in a science fictional narrative whose ending we're shaping
with our inaction.

  Benford is a professor of physics at UC Irvine and the author of "Deep
Time" and the science-fiction Nebula award-winning "Timescape." Hoffert is
professor of physics at New York University and lead author of studies on
stabilizing climate change from the fossil fuel greenhouse that have
appeared in Nature and Science.