[extropy-chat] 'History' and the fulcrum of 1945

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 31 02:05:41 UTC 2005

The following short article complements Mr. Davies' comments.  It ends well
stating, "But it is good to know that in this context at least, nice guys do
not come last.  They do just as well as the nasty guys and, indeed, as the
wary majority."

Terry

< http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3576344 >

Human evolution

Games people play

Jan 20th 2005
>From The Economist print edition

The co-operative and the selfish are equally successful at getting what they
want

MANY people, it is said, regard life as a game. Increasingly, both biologists
and economists are tending to agree with them. Game theory, a branch of
mathematics developed in the 1940s and 1950s by John von Neumann and John Nash,
has proved a useful theoretical tool in the study of the behaviour of animals,
both human and non-human.

...more at URL...

*****

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program