[extropy-chat] Re: The Force of Human Freedom

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 31 04:25:53 UTC 2005

From: "Max More" <max at maxmore.com>

>I have no problem getting out of bed in the morning, and don't carry around
>a whole lot of fear about the world as a background condition. I also don't
>watch any TV, except for DVDs -- movies and really good series like Six
>Feet Under and Monk. Amara's comment made me scratch my head.

And, Max, your comment made me scratch my head.

I am a movie buff myself - so I can relate to the movies and good series
part.  But television is an important medium (and not disconnected from the
Internet).  One gets a sense of our culture and its concerns watching
television (and being connected to the Internet).  If I were the head of
[just about any organization I can think of] I would think it imperative for
me to be in touch with what's going on in the general culture.  It may not
always be provocative or pretty, but important IMO.

Unfortunately, Bush has set a terrible precedent:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/143851_thomas15.html

Due to the brevity of our time on this planet, we all must make our
individual choices, certainly.  I have chosen not to listen to popular music
(except when it comes already packaged in those movies and good series).

Television has gotten deeper and wider (even as FoxNews has rendered it
shallower and narrower).  It is eye-opening to be able to get Canadian news,
for example - and see how differently they may report their news and what
they choose to feature.

This is the electronic age, and the medium is still the message.

Olga