[extropy-chat] Re: The Force of Human Freedom

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 31 15:53:58 UTC 2005

From: "Amara Graps" <Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it>

> Do you recognize seige mentality, Greg?  It steals from your
> life. I don't understand how any life-loving person can accept
> living their life looking over their shoulder every minute. It
> makes you old very fast.

Yes, it's true that this siege mentality is starting to take hold.  There is
a commercial I've been seeing lately - designed to be helpful to parents.
It counsels those parents to "explain what to do in the case of a terror
attack."  Some of the dialogue "suggests" having the kids go to a neighbor's
house and what all.

The fact is, shouldn't parents who are away at work or for any other reason
ALREADY have a plan in place ... in case they get an aneurysm while they're
away, or have a car accident, or are delayed in traffic?  Having a plan in
place for all these things and more that could happen in the course of a
day - and so much more likely than a "terrorist attack" for criminy's sake -
wouldn't parents ALREADY have a plan in place.  Why much the "terrorist"
business?  What would be so different?

Olga