[extropy-chat] Question of Constitutional Law

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 19:36:26 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I understand that the Constitution gives the President
> the power to make treaties with senate approval. But
> what I want to know is that if there is any explicit
> law in the Constitution or elsewhere that prohibits
> the governors of individual states from signing/making
> treaties with foreign powers? As a completely
> hypothetical example could Schwazeneggar sign the
> Kyoto Treaty and have California abide by it? What
> would be the consequences? Would the federal
> government step in? Would it spark a civil war?

Yes, the Constitution bans states from signing treaties with other
nations, although many states have records of relations with foreign
countries over trade issues, particularly border states with Canada and
Mexico. New Hampshire maintains a trade office in London, which I
believe other states do as well, and I believe west coast states engage
in similar activities with other asian/pacific nations. The states
therefore generally will craft a bill for their congressional
delegation to promote in congress that deals with whatever
international issue they are working with that other nation to resolve.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com