[extropy-chat] finding old (and new) sf

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jul 2 10:29:41 UTC 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 8:10 PM, MB wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Damien Broderick wrote:
>

>> When someone like Charlie Stross or Cory Doctorow releases a book
>> under CC,
>> it is ancillary to paper publication, and their hope is that
>> readers who
>> get enthralled by the e-text will get tired of reading on the
>> screen and
>> pick up a copy at the bookstore, or via Amazon. CC release is thus
>> a form
>> of advertising; the revenue still comes from the paper books. What
>> I'm
>> still toying with is the possibility of making this novel
>> available for
>> download at no charge, while inviting readers who enjoy it to send
>> us, say,
>> a dollar or two via PayPal.

It is an interim form on the way to hopefully more ways to release
work AND get reasonable remuneration.  I don't see it as primarily
advertising though.    Personally I have a very nice monitor
optimized for reading.   It is just too hard so far to drag a
suitable monitor with me everywhere I would read  I haven't mounted
an LCD panel on the bathroom wall for instance.

I would certainly send a couple of bucks myself.

>> Charlie had 22,000 downloads fairly quickly when he put his new
>> singularity
>> novel ACCELERANDO up for grabs. My question: how many people would
>> feel an
>> impulse to pay the author a couple of bucks in gratitude for
>> having the
>> book might available in this way? Would anyone here be likely to
>> do so?

Actually as soon as it came out I ordered a hardback from Amazon.  I
have read half of it online. and will likely read the other half
there but I still wanted the paper copy.  Especially of this book.  I
am really very impressed with Accelerando.  I haven't enjoyed any SF
book as much in some time.

- samantha