[extropy-chat] Re: Molecular Logic Gates

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Jul 4 04:25:37 UTC 2005

At 08:10 PM 7/3/2005, Lifespan wrote:

>Might it be possible to engineer a buckyball sized  to engulf a logic gate
>and act as a membrane , a spacer
>and circuit isolator.   Then build a  nerve like connection./conduction
>system to create a  muticomponent
>grid with communication network.  This would be a piece of molecular
>engineered artwork to be sure.

I was just writing about a concept for a transpolitics blogocracy in which
nomothetic and diplomacy-based referendums for voting on issues would be
developed through pervasive computing environments.  The ubiquitous
environment would produce rapid multi-cultural communications. Open
communications produces broader understanding and cooperation through
online politics.

Completely new computing structures like molecular logic gates may lead to
another quantum leap in computing power. These technologies could
replace­at least in part­silicon-based computers, and help to give
intelligence to everyday items. In addition, the human interface to
computers could merge with the environment with the help of smart materials.

Cheers!
Natasha

>The Avantguardian wrote:
>>
>>--- Natasha Vita-More <mailto:natasha at natasha.cc><natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
>>

>>>Nice.
>>>
>>><http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i25/8325notw4.html>http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i25/8325notw4.html
>>>

>>Very interesting post, Natasha. :)
>>It's got me wondering if there might not be naturally
>>occuring logic gates operating on the surface of
>>cells. Such would explain some aspects of the
>>phenotypic complexity of multicellular organisms.
>>And implications for Moore's Law are self-evident.
>>
>>Vigeas,

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet