[extropy-chat] give a small window into the military mind

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Jul 4 20:25:58 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

> If you still think otherwise, then fine, come and bitch at me once
> you've gone and dismantled the 90% of the US government that ISN'T
> constitutionally allowed. Until then, you've got a lot bigger fish to
> fry than my veterans benefits. At the time I enlisted, I was a
> republican. You could say the Air Force made me a libertarian, so in
> that sense, the US military made the world a slightly better place by
> one person (though some may dispute that).

I would, on the strict grounds that convincing people of ideologies counts for
nothing - is no triumph for the ideology.  Only what people do matters.  It
benefits humanity nothing when one more human becomes convinced of, say, the
Singularity Institute's reading material, unless that human should be
motivated to do something differently thereby, and even then the belief still
matters nothing of itself.  This is something that I emphasize in all causes I
join, doing my helpful part to prevent those causes from becoming religions;
belief counts for nothing.