[extropy-chat] In defense of slashdotters (was transhumanism == militant fascism)

Jacob xander25 at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 5 02:55:44 UTC 2005

Dan Clemmensen wrote:

Many posts on Slashdot refer to Stallman as a nut-case. Slashdot does
does not
support Stallman. It supports Nerds. Many (Most?) Slashdot readers
prefer the more
pragmatic "Open Source" approach to Stalmans's "free software" concept, and
Stallman's insistence on the "GNU/Linux" nomenclature is clearly very
irritating to a large portion of the Slashdot community.

As a slashdotter myself, I concur.  Men like Mr. Stallman and Mr. Perens
seem to be under the impression that all software should be open, going
as far as proposing legislation.  I personally believe it should be up
to the individual.

Slashdot itself tends to be a very diverse group.  It is geared more
towards the open source/Linux crowd, but it is far more diverse than
simply that.  I take everything I read on there with a grain of salt
anyways.  The posts range from the good and useful all the way to the
utterly useless.

--Jacob Bennett