[extropy-chat] learning to appreciate pessimists

c c beb_cc at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 21:31:14 UTC 2005

Pessimists act as a reality check, counteracting the predictions of cheerleading prognosticators who want to encourage others, even by being baselessly optimistic.
You can see where luddite cyberpunks are coming from, they have been told of the brave world of Tomorrow, and merely a cursory glance at humanity reveals there are generations, or even centuries, of resistance left to progress. And here we are naturally defining progress on our terms. If we can convince enough recalcitrants, then the future is more on our extropian/transhumanist terms than on someone else's. Win enough hearts & minds and we obstensibly own the future. This is a subtext, or the subtext to Luddite critiques of progress. Ludds are not merely criticizing what we want, they are criticizing us for wanting to 'control' the future, they are criticizing us not merely for 'playing God', but even for having the temerity to say we want, let alone deserve to exist beyond our original lifespans. When ludds say, "who do you think you are?", they mean that literally, they mean to say, "what even gives you the right to exist, and especially, what gives you the prerogative to strive
 for unlimited lifespans and in the process change the future to your specifications... and even 'own' the future?". They are playing for keepsies, they sense the future is up for grabs. And they are correct.
I'm no confirmed pessimist yet living where I live has given me a 360 degree panorama view of what is going on. I'm what most consider a fool, but fools go where futurists fear to tread. It's more complicated than even those as in the know-- as you are-- are aware of. I suspect we are communicating at cross purposes with our opponents concerning everything imaginable.

http://mail.yahoo.com