[extropy-chat] a comparison with London bombings

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Jul 9 03:58:29 UTC 2005

At 11:40 PM 7/8/2005 -0400, Dan Clemmensen wrote:

>any poor college student in any major metropolitan area who inadvertently
>leaves a backpack on a bus or subway car will be in serious trouble,
>because the other passengers will take action: the student will be thrown
>to the floor and the pack back will be thrown off the vehicle.

It's more complicated than that. When I was in London for the first time
last year, I was interested to see that at least some trains (maybe those
serving the airport?) allocated space for passenger luggage; you put your
bag there, then went and found a seat. I thought this was awfully trusting.
Presumably this facility will now be abolished, and bombs will be
hand-delivered by suicide cretins.

Damien Broderick