[extropy-chat] Prelate: Catholicism incompatible with neo-Darwinism.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jul 9 21:06:16 UTC 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 7:39 AM, John K Clark wrote:

> I must respectfully disagree with His Eminence Cardinal Schonborn;
> I don't
> think there is any conflict between Evolution and Catholic
> theology. I agree
> there is a huge contradiction between Evolution and the idea of a
> benevolent
> God because each tiny advance Evolution produces must be paid for
> in a world
> of pain and unhappiness and death; however as neither the Christian
> nor the
> Islamic God is benevolent there is no contradiction with Evolution.
> Therefore I humbly suggest church officials stop worrying about
> Evolution
> and concentrate on things they have real world experience with,
> like chasing
> little boys.
>
>   John K Clark

It is no great surprise to rational people that many aspects of
Christianity (and of course other religions) are incompatible with
reality.  It is good to see the Church admitting such.   Now if we
can just point out to be people what the real take home lesson is.
Reality beats myth, superstition and dogma.  Honest exploration of
reality cannot help but show them up where they are false and/or
unsupported.  Yet somehow people have been sold such a tight package
deal that they believe much of what they hold to be of value in life
becomes valueless if they begin to question various bits of
ungrounded flotsam they have allowed nto enter their minds through
the gates of religion.

Yes, Catholic dogma is incompatible with evolution.  So much the
worse for Catholic dogma.

- samantha