[extropy-chat] Samantha, i read your message very carefully-- it is poignant, very important

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jul 9 23:39:55 UTC 2005

There is only us.  There are no others to consider the complex and
ethical issues.  There are no ordained ones of church or academia
that we may turn over the responsibility to.  History is largely in
front of us.  We have so much potential freedom to write what we will
there.   We cannot duck deciding what to write.    The world is being
made new.  We can make it a faster less forgiving copy of the old
natural world if we wish or are too afraid or haven't the energy to
consider what we wish to create.   The real possibility of
indefinitely long life adds more to the equation than any expert in
pre-emortality ethics and military history can address.  We can't
solve such things here but we can begin to talk about them and
attempt to include them in our thoughts about what is and is not a
good course of action in keeping with our deepest goals.

- samantha