[extropy-chat] Re: Nam

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jul 10 12:05:20 UTC 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 2:44 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:

>       Interestingly enough, I agree with you Dirk in
> that public sentiment/opinion (most importantly
> American public opinion) is the kryptonite of the
> American soldier. When they are inspired by a cause
> that we believe in, they are capable of homeric deeds.
> But when they no longer believe they are fighting for
> the people and things they love, they can be routed by
> barefoot guys with bows and arrows.

The kryptonite of the soldier is the idiocy of politicians wasting
the lives of soldiers on meaningless conflicts.  It is the job of the
American people to speak up when such idiocy becomes obvious.

>      That being said, I still think U.S. withdrawal
> without replacement by U.N. peacekeepers, would be a
> huge tragic mistake. All economic self-interest of the
> U.S. aside (and we would lose big) we would be
> knowingly allowing a four way civil war that will at
> best result in a return of the Baathists to their
> murderous splendour and at worst the creation of three
> more fractious states that will further destabilize
> the Middle East. And you will have more countries for
> terrorists to hide in while they plan their next
> London bombing. Sooner or later they may get a nuke.

Sooner or later my grandma may get a nuke.  Please don't throw in
gratuitous maybes of this kind.

>      If your "gestures and statements" campaign
> succeeds, one of two possible outcomes will result
> depending entirely on your motive. If your motive was
> to deal a punitive economic blow to the U.S. for
> invading a country that was formerly on EVERYBODY's
> shit list then you will have succeeded. If your motive
> was to save lives, whether they were those of the
> Iraqis, Americans, or even your own fellow Brits, you
> will have failed. I would not presume to guess your
> motives.

Are you going to blame the people for telling the truth about this
outrageous stupidity to the best of their abilities to know it?   My
motive is to get the US out of their and bring in the UN for the
purpose of returning the country to the Iraqis.   The economic blow
will be far worse imho if we stay.   I also disagree that our being
there saves more lives than if we left.

- samantha