[extropy-chat] Re: Nam

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 23:43:19 UTC 2005

--- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com>
wrote:

> If you'd thought about this for more than half a
> second, you would
> realize that the US is the only one that can do it
> because the US is the
> only country left that can project significant
> military and logistical
> force beyond its own borders.  Even the UK is a
> shadow of what it could
> do a couple decades ago in the force projection
> arena, and they are the
> runner-up.
>
> The Chinese have zero ability to project military
> force beyond
> immediately adjacent territories on their land
> borders.  It is absurd
> that you would even suggest that the Chinese could
> provide "teeth" to
> the UN, unless the UN needs troops on the Chinese
> border.  Wishing
> otherwise does not make it reality.

Actually the Chinese COULD be the teeth of the U.N. if
the U.S. would be so kind as to be the legs and give
them a ride. I don't think anyone would want to tangle
with American aircraft carriers loaded down with
Chinese marines. If the U.N. wasn't a joke, that is
exactly what would be happening in the Middle East
right now. But, to turn a cliche on its head, being as
there is no "team" in U.N., it won't happen.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson