[extropy-chat] Many eyes

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Jul 11 01:55:22 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>> To increase pre-explosion coverage, the public should be encouraged
>> to make random pictures in public places, more or less continuously.
>> If nothing  interesting happens, most of these digital pictures will
>> never even be stored. If something bad happens, the pictures from
>> prior to the event would become available for analysis.
>>
>> Privacy? Sorry, These are pictures taken by individuals, in public
>> places. There is no right to privacy in this venue.
>>
>> I live in the Washington DC area. I thought of this  concept during
>> the ugly "sniper attack" situation last year.
>

> An average Londoner will be picked up on hundreds of cameras on a
> normal day.
> The security services have had the City cameras connected to computer
> syatems that tracks every car entering and leaving that area for
> years, due to IRA attacks. I also recall that they were trialling a
> system in the 90s where the face of every person caught on camera was
> compared to a database of wanted people.
>
> The bombers will undoubtedly have been caught on camera and even now
> extremely powerful computersystems will be running pattern matching
> and people-tracing algorithms on all captured video for hours before
> and hours after the attack. I suspect that by now they may well have
> pictures of some of those responsible.
>
> It's how the last London bomber was caught.

Yes, Dick. The authorities do have a lot of video coverage, garnered at
great expense, and they are working hard at analyzing it. The
authorities have (in the last six hours or so) broadcast a request to
the public for any video or other pictures that the public may have.

This request conveys two facts:
1) the "official" record is incomplete.
2) the "official analysts have not yet found the perpetrators.

I do not contend that "official"cameras and analysts are inadequate.
Rather, I contend that society need not depend on the official
infrastructure. As individuals, we can instead fine the perpetrators
ourselves. Ten thousand amateurs are at least as effective as a hundred
professionals. This is the "cathedral" versus the "bazaar" with a
vengence (using the term advisedly.)