[extropy-chat] Re: Nam

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Mon Jul 11 03:12:20 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
>

>>You don't have to guess.
>>They have been explained here, on Usenet and on the
>>Consensus site.
>>

>     I have now checked out your website. I understand
>you now. Your premise that nation-states must be
>sancrosanct as a mechanism of maintaining cultural
>diversity is a premise I can understand but don't
>necessarily share. Diversity can be maintained so long
>as freedom reigns and human rights are preserved. We

The Ideal American Culture.
What about postHuman cultures that are hive minds, or super-hierarchies?
Or how about the engineering of postHumans with strong territorial and
xenophobic tendencies? Are they to be banned from day one?
What about people who don't recognise your versions of freedoms and
rights as being correct?
There are more visions of the future of Humanity than just the ones
mentioned here, and I see many of them as being in fundamental conflict
from the start.

>don't really need a byzantine hodgepodge of republics,
>democracies, monarchies, plutocracies, oligarchies,
>theocracies, and dictatorships on our planet to
>maintain cultural diversity. We just need universal
>freedom. The Muslims in the U.S. are just as Islamic
>as the ones in the Middle East, they just happen to be
>free and tolerant.

I beg to differ.
Most people, let alone Moslems, are not 'free and tolerant'.

>      If you REALLY believe that we should suffer the
>existence of archaic forms of government in far flung
>corners of the world, then we should go all the way
>set them up as "historical anthropological preserves"
>and forbid the transfer of technology beyond that of
>agrarian societies into their borders.
>     I don't trust caliphs and sheiks to wield germs
>and nukes responsibly, not with what they have shown
>me so far.

So in your future there is really only One Culture - The American Way.
In the end we all need to control the bit of turf we stand upon, whether
metaphorical or literal. Territoriality is not going to disappear in the
future. Or at least, not in my future, which obvious differs from yours.
That two Transhumanists should be in such conflict is less an irony and
more a prophecy.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-