[extropy-chat] Many eyes

John Kozubik john at kozubik.com
Mon Jul 11 06:16:26 UTC 2005

Dan,

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Dan Clemmensen wrote:

> If every Londoner with a cell-phone camera had taken a 10-shot panorama
> at the time of the bombing, we would almost certainly have a picture of
> at least one of the bombers.
>
> To speed the analysis, we should also add a volunteer analytic
> infrastructure. If every relevant Londoner made panoramic pictures,
> there would be far more pictures than police analysts could process
> quickly. But each photographer could add the pictures to a distributed
> database, and each photographer (plus innumerable volunteers) could do a
> preliminary analysis.

Ok.  But how do you distinguish fake data and analysis from real data and
analysis ?  What if the criminals involved created hundreds or thousands
of CGI photos of real and/or fake persons at the scene and submitted them
as part of the broader public response ?

Such a barrage of misleading information could hamper the investigation at
best, and falsely redirect it at worse.

Comments ?

-----
John Kozubik - john at kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com