[extropy-chat] Many eyes

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 11:20:48 UTC 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Joseph Bloch wrote:

> David Brin, who has written on the subject of the changing
> (disappearing) notion of privacy, covered this explicitly in his
> novel "Earth".
>
> He posits a future in which private surveilance (by cameras
> embedded in sunglasses, which transmit in realtime to secure data
> archives) causes a drastic drop in violent crime. If every
> potential mugging victim is recording everything he sees, muggers
> become a lot less numerous.
>
> The classic response to questions of "what happened to my right to
> privacy?" in Brin's world, is "What do you have to hide?"

I have to hide anything that the powers that be decide to make a
crime that real should never have been one.  I have to be able to
hide as long as some people wish to legally run everyone else's
life.  I have to hide if I am not a perfect shmoo or perfectly
willing be targeted by one of thousands of laws that exist for no
other purpose at some politician or cop's discretion.   Lastly I have
a need to be able to hide as long as the government is the biggest
danger to life and liberty.   How would you propose to have a chance
to change or at least avoid a turly corrupt and non-responsive
government or to avoid their clutches somewhat with on privacy
whatsoever?

Really people, please think it through before you propose that Big
Brother knows all.  Whit do I have to hide?  Worng question.  What
gives you and the government the right to stick your nose into every
aspect of my life?

- samantha