[extropy-chat] Death Toll

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Jul 12 14:48:57 UTC 2005

Jeff Davis wrote:

>If survival is the goal, then you get there by
>rational behavior.  If multiple individuals with
>similar values act in concert, their survival ***as a
>group*** may be enhanced, but the similarity to
>tribalism is merely coincidental.

Jeff makes a good point about rationality, but it is an ideal that
doesn't fully map onto the world in which we live.  Do to real
constraints on contextual knowledge and processing time, instinctive
behavior can be much more survival enhancing than a so-called rational
approach.  I think we are near the crossover point, however, beyond
which the survival of humans and their organizations will most certainly
depend on expanded contextual awareness and associated processing.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net