[extropy-chat] NPOV

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jul 12 19:03:10 UTC 2005

On Jul 12, 2005, at 8:02 AM, BillK wrote:

> Sorry, but you won't get a NPOV. The US is split into two almost equal
> halves. The intellectuals, the literary talking-shop set still cannot
> believe that Bush has won two successive elections. They just cannot
> accept that (slightly) over half the country do not see things their
> way.

I have large acceptance of the reality of  human stupidity.  I also
have some acceptance of the fragility of election process and how
easily an election can be bought or stolen  these days.   The two
party lock is failing us all also.   A simple binary division of the
country gets us nowhere.

> Note that I don't think they are Dem supporters, so much as a
> conglomeration of anti-bush campaigners. Bush is the first pres since
> his dad to get over 50% of the popular vote.

The election was quite close so what are you crowing about here?

> So they claim the vote
> must have been rigged. Bush has wide support through the South, Great
> Plains, and Mountain states (83% by area). Which, coincidentally is
> where most of the forces recruiting comes from.

I don't even want to rehash that.

> The west coast and north east city intellectuals really cannot
> communicate with the rest of the US. The web is full of their
> anti-bush tirades, which they appear to be writing for each others'
> benefit, just to confirm their anti-bush credentials. But if they try
> to start lecturing your average mid-western type, then they are an
> immediate turn-off and get booted out of town.

Is your acquiescence to some purported massive divide helping?

- samantha