[extropy-chat] Many eyes

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Tue Jul 12 21:15:07 UTC 2005

Dan Clemmensen wrote:

> Brin's "Transparent society" argues that we cannot put the toothpaste
> back in the tube: existing technological trends will inevitably permit
> constant monitoring of everybody.

35000 GB or 35 Terabytes can record everything you experience 24/7 for a
year in DV quality. Compress that a bit more to DIV-X quality and you
need only 4400 GB per year. Cut out your sleeping time, and you need
about 2900 GB.

So with current harddisk prices, it will cost $1800 a year to record
everything you experince in near DVD quality.

With the current development of wireless, storage etc. it is not even
far out. It can be done right now, and will only get simpler and cheaper
in the future!

The only things missing are lightweight allways-on video cameras, and
automation of the storage compression process ... and a bit of money.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science