[extropy-chat] Authenticity, extropy, libertarianism, and history

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 04:01:00 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> You don't have to like my (rather modest) change in views, but it is
> important to me to resolve these conflicting perceptions.

### Max, I wonder if you could briefly elaborate on the differences
between your current views and libertarianism. I greatly admire your
work, and it is possible I could yet again learn something new from
you. I am an anarcho-capitalist now, thanks in part to discussions on
this list.

I can commiserate with the exasperation you might feel when accused of
betraying your ideals. Only a couple days ago I was upbraided at TCS
for "asking for government handouts" when I said I am applying for NIH
research grants. As it is, I don't see a disconnect between my
anarcho-capitalist views and the need to work with the current system,
despite its obvious flaws.

Is your disavowal of libertarianism due to a fundamental change of
your personal philosophy, an elaboration of it, or perhaps an
adaptation of methods to existing circumstances?

Rafal