[extropy-chat] Authenticity, extropy, libertarianism, and history

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jul 13 15:28:10 UTC 2005

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>I suppose I'd like my label back.  I have a bunch of friends who used
>to enjoy using the label and would like to use it again -- we're very
>tired of having labels taken out from under us (we liked "Liberal"
>before the Fabians corrupted it, for example). I know Natasha doesn't
>like labels -- labeling being, in her opinion (expressed above)
>contrary to individuality -- and so perhaps you folks aren't
>sufficiently attached to it to want to make further use of it.  I'm
>sure we won't mind if the label arrives somewhat soiled -- we can have
>it cleaned and repainted ourselves.

I find this statement particularly interesting because I feel the same,
but from the opposite direction!

My history with the list doesn't go back as far, having joined only
about ten years ago, and my activity is not nearly as high as some
others, although I read and consider almost every post.  But since I
found this group, and through many ups and downs in signal to noise,
conflict and controversy, for me it has been a shining star of free
thought on the Net.

I have always seen the concept of extropy as being more abstract and
universal than any specific implementation of a set of political/social
beliefs.  Indeed, embracing "spontaneous order" and rejection of "static
utopia" logically lead one to a transpolitical stance, in my opinion.
Therefore, while I have appreciated the energy, creativity, and growth
contributed by those with strong or "absolute" libertarian beliefs, I
have long felt dissapointed that this subset of extropian thinkers act
as if they hold the golden key.

I also see the concept of extropy encompassing that of transhumanism,
rather than the other way around, but that's a topic of other, past debate.

So, if I were to have my way (I really don't know if my thoughts are
representative of many others') I would ask that the label "extropy" be
returned, if in fact it has been away, as a central organizing principle
of Growth, unattached to any specific social/political model.

And since I'm making wishes, give us back the active participation of
passionate, rational, and constructive thinkers such as Max, Anders, and
others.  ;-)

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net