[extropy-chat] Re: Webcast: 1st Annual Workshop on Geoethical Nanotechnology

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 16:02:30 UTC 2005

Adrian wrote:

"Most global regulatory frameworks, in practice, are implicitly based on
the Precautionary Principle.  This was perhaps the core of the
disconnect."

This could very well be correct, but this should not derail those of us who
are opponents of the misuse of the Precautionary Principle in these types
of formats.  Rather than turn our backs on the possibilty for success, it
is essential to be active in pursuing alternatives to the Precautionary
Principle's use.

As someone who thinks about global frameworks, I am not derailed by what
"most" people or organizations do.

> Adrian, there are several extremely important reasons for being
> involved in
> the event's webcast.  First and foremost and of *immediate
> importance* is
> to introduce and promote the "Proactionary Principle".

"If that really is what you intend, then I salute you, and wish you good
luck.  The way the announcement was phrased, in particular the word
choices that coincided with the word choices of Precautionary Principle
advocates, strongly implied the exact opposite."

Did you go to the website of the webcast?
http://www.terasemfoundation.org/workshop.htm

"Since this is not what
you meant to convey, it is something you may wish to consider when
crafting such announcements in the future."

Well yes, of course and thank you.  I wish you and others would frequent
the announcements and read the Exponent newsletter to keep up with the
proactive efforts of ExI and its Board.

We worked on proactive plans back in 1997 with the release of ProAct but
had to slow down for some unforeseen circumstances. You can read this at
http://www.extropy.org/events.htm

"Overcoming Resistance from Bioconservatives and Technophobes" Ronald
Bailey (The Journalistic Critic); Greg Bear (the Myth Maker); Natasha
Vita-More (Cultural Catalyst); Dr. Michael Rose (The GeneMaster); Greg
Burch, J.D. (Luddite Tracker)"

The Vital Progress Summit in 2004 actively drew transhumanist advocates of
the proactivity into an extropic think tank. The result was the formulation
of the Proactionary Principle.

Best,

Natasha