[extropy-chat] Authenticity, extropy, libertarianism, and history

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Jul 14 00:42:35 UTC 2005

I wrote the term transpolitical with no prior knowledge of its use, mean it
to mean trans (as in transition from one form or style to another) politics
(as in the interrelationship among people and society in regards to the
science of politics and politics as the methods involved in managing, such
as a state or government).  As you know, for umpteen years I have been
looking for a more future oriented politics that takes the best of
libertarian ideas and is democratic means for people to vote on where they
want their own taxes to go (provided that we are taxed) and how they want
to be governed (provided that we must be governed).  I'm not a big fan of
government, as you all know, and I am sorely annoyed by politicians and
political positioning, which I have brought up from time to time over the
past years.

Regarding transpolitics, Mike could be correct that it would imply an
inclusiveness of all politics, but that is not what I mean.  It is more
that none of the political positions are equally valid, but that all
political positions are inadequate for dealing with transhumanism and the
future.

I think that as humans become transhumans there are buckets full of issues,
changes, adjustments, alternations, acceptances, challenges, etc - that we
have to face.  I remember when I first became a transhumanist and gave up
all the Holidays I loved so much as a child. It was hard, but I had to do
it because I did not want to celebrate events that did not reflect my
philosophical view. So there went all the fun and games of traditional
American holiday celebrations.

For those of us who love to engage in politics and may not want to give up
waving flags for our favored political candidates, platforms, and party
colors and parties.  But I personally am not excited by it for the
future.  I would rather rally around voting on a new networked
system  -  nomothetic and diplomacy-based referendums for voting on issues
would be developed through pervasive computing environments.  The
ubiquitous environment would produce rapid multi-cultural communications.
Open communications produces broader understanding and cooperation through
online politics.

The science of politics in regards to society is tightly
interconnected.  While I think that no political agenda fits the needs of
transhumanism and the future, it is essential to have methods for managing
the way society works and interacts.  And I agree that for extropians,
politics has a integral position in communicating ideas and ideals.  I'm
just not satisfied with what we have today.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet