[extropy-chat] Re: Death Toll

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 14 09:14:46 UTC 2005

Evan Hamlin wrote:

> First, as this is my first post, I'll introduce myself. I'm
> Evan Hamlin, pleased to "meet" all of you. I hope to have
> some interesting exchanges with you all.

Welcome Evan.

> Extropists, your thoughts on the following please. I found
> it to have some quite valid points, despite perhaps an
> overly "call to arms" tone. In many places, replace "muslims"
> with "muslim terrorists" for the purpose of the article; the
> author (who is anonymous as far as I know) is a bit insensitive
> to this...
>

> To get out of a difficulty, one usually must go
> through it. Our country is now facing the most serious
> threat to its existence, as we know it, that we have
> faced in your lifetime and mine (which includes WWII).
>

> The deadly seriousness is greatly compounded by the
> fact that there are very few of us who think we can
> possibly lose this war and even fewer who realize what
> losing really means.
>
> First, let's examine a few basics:
>
> 1. When did the threat to us start? Many will say
> September 11th, 2001.
> The answer as far as the United
> States is concerned is 1979, 22 years prior to
> September 2001, with the following attacks on us:
> Iran Embassy Hostages, 1979;
> Beirut, Lebanon Embassy 1983;
> Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks 1983;
> Lockerbie, Scotland Pan-Am flight to New York 1988;
> First New York World Trade Center attack 1993;
> Dhahran, Saudi Arabia Khobar Towers Military complex 1996;
> Nairobi, Kenya US Embassy 1998;
> Dares Salaam, Tanzania US Embassy 1998;
> Aden, Yemen U S S  Cole 2000;
> New York World Trade Center 2001;
> Pentagon 2001.  (Note that during the period from 1981 to 2001
> there were 7,581 terrorist attacks worldwide).

So you say the threat started in 1979.

And you say as far as the United States is concerned.

Why 1979 and not earlier?

Do you speak for the United States? I thought only the
President could do that.

I am Brett Paatsch. My views are my own. I live in
Australia, this list goes out internationally.

Brett Paatsch