[extropy-chat] 12000 miles per gallon (equiv) !!

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:21:09 UTC 2005

On 7/14/05, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> a) as it was performed on a track, after the vehicle had reached its
> average speed (i.e. energy cost of accelerating to 30 km/h were not
> included) it only had to expend energy on rolling and wind resistance
>
> b) for a very small very light (30 kilos is about 1/50th to 1/100th of
> the mass of most vehicles called 'cars') and very aerodynamic vehicle
> (note that aerodynamic resistance increases geometrically as vehicle
> cross section and surface area increase) I would expect such high fuel
> efficiency. 1200 mpg is no different than what solar powered vehicles
> using similar design principles have demonstrated in similar tests.

"Our goal is to build a car powered by a fuel cell that uses as little
fuel as possible."

So, yes, it is very light, yes, it is very streamlined, and yes, it
just keeps going round and round the track. They are not building your
average commuter vehicle. :)
But they did drive off from a standing start as specified in the Shell
Eco-marathon rules.
And achieved a world record 12 thousand mpg equivalent.
See <http://www.shelleco-marathon.com/index.htm>

As I understand it, fuel economy does not apply to solar-power cars as
they do not use any fuel at all. Infinite mpg!  The solar panels
generate electricity which feed batteries to provide motive power.
Regenerative braking on downhills also helps to charge the batteries.

The PAC car does not use any solar cells.
"Whereas most of the other fuel economy vehicles burn fuel in an ICE
(Internal Combustion Engine), PAC-Car II uses a fuel cell to convert
hydrogen into electricity to power its electric motors. The main
advantages are greater efficiency, much more silent operation and most
importantly, zero emission with pure water as the only by-product."

BillK