[extropy-chat] Re: Webcast: 1st Annual Workshop on Geoethical Nanotechnology

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 14 23:10:03 UTC 2005

--- "nvitamore at austin.rr.com" <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> This could very well be correct, but this should not derail those of
> us who
> are opponents of the misuse of the Precautionary Principle in these
> types
> of formats.  Rather than turn our backs on the possibilty for
> success, it
> is essential to be active in pursuing alternatives to the
> Precautionary
> Principle's use.
>
> As someone who thinks about global frameworks, I am not derailed by
> what
> "most" people or organizations do.

True, but you still need to be aware of potential and likely reactions
to your message.  In this case, the fear is that you may, to be blunt,
be walking into a trap, for instance that someone will try to set up
the
audience and context to poison audiences against your message.  The
"most" is a statement of the likelihood of this type of scenario -
i.e.,
it implies that this may be likely enough to specifically watch out for
and be prepared to react to.  But you are correct, this should not
derail you.

...come to think of it, this could be seen as an instance of the
Proactionary Principle in action.  As you noted, the costs of doing
nothing are too great.  Proceeding with caution (where there is an
identified, but hard to quantify, risk) is still proceeding, as opposed
to stopping to study the problem until it can be proven safe.  :)

> Did you go to the website of the webcast?
> http://www.terasemfoundation.org/workshop.htm

I did.  I'm still not entirely certain they're not just having you
there
as "a representative of the enemy".  We'll see how things come out.

> I wish you and others would
> frequent
> the announcements and read the Exponent newsletter to keep up with
> the
> proactive efforts of ExI and its Board.

I do.  That was part of why this misperception came as such a shock.