[extropy-chat] Dark matter and ET

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Jul 15 00:59:28 UTC 2005

Robin Hanson wrote:

> Robert Bradbury has posted on this topic many times on this list over
> the years.  I've often played the role of critic in responding to him.
> It is a subtle question what exactly the goals of alien civilizations
> would be,

If their early AI researchers were anything like ours, I suspect mostly
paperclips.

> and different goals lead to different computational
> priorities.

I don't see why different computational priorities should affect the material
prediction, valid for an extremely wide range of goal systems: that
superintelligences should convert available matter into configurations more
useful than stars, which generate massive amounts of entropy without
performing any computations...

> Also, there is the question of why such aliens are not
> trying to make use of all the stuff that we do see.

...but this objection carries against the Fermi-Paradox explanation for dark
matter / dark-matter explanation for the Fermi Paradox; I agree.