[extropy-chat] Dark matter and ET

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 02:46:42 UTC 2005

There is extensive discussion in the archives, and Robert Bradbury has
some writings on it as well. He has been the primary advocate of the
posthuman ET explanation for dark matter in the astronomical community,
which has gained some credence, but still suffers from the common
astronomical allergy to any discussion of ET civilizations, with
measured tolerance for radio and laser SETI projects.

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> There are many fundamental questions to which we currently have no
> scientific answers.
>
> Two of the biggies:
> 1)  Dark matter: We have not been able to detect by other means
> enough
> matter
>      to account for all of the gravitational effect we see in the
> cosmos.
> 2)  The Fermi Paradox: Why have we not detected signs of other
> intelligent life in
>       the cosmos?
>
> Perhaps these questions answer each other. Dyson spheres have been
> considered and rejected,
> but Dyson spheres are not the only (or even most likely) end result
> of
> the evolution of
> intelligence. For example, most SI might evolve to efficient
> computronium. What is
> efficient computronium, and what is its emission signature? If it is
> difficult to detect, it may
> comprise the missing mass.
>
> def: computronium: matter organized to optimize computing capacity.
> def: efficient computronium: computronium organized to optimize
> computations per Joule.
>
> Does anyone have references to prior speculation on this topic?

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com