[extropy-chat] Dark matter and ET

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Fri Jul 15 06:28:07 UTC 2005

>    http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0506110

>Galactic Gradients, Postbiological Evolution and the Apparent Failure
>of SETI

>Authors:
>Milan M. Cirkovic,
>Robert J. Bradbury

Also, note the topic here on the list 11/23/99-11/26/99,
'Why would Aliens Hide'. The archives are not online, so I will repost
what I have in my archive.

Re: Why Would Aliens Hide?

Eric Watt Forste (arkuat at idiom.com)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:11:33 -0800

Robert Bradbury writes:
>  On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 Spudboy100 at aol.com wrote:
>  > Unless we gain positve evidence, Fermi and Tipler are right.
>  > We have met 'intelligent-life' and they is us.
>
>  Distinctly possible, but saying it doesn't explain *why* that is
>  the case.

Perhaps Universe is so young that we are the first kids on the block.

I have been looking around for data on what a chemist would call the
reaction rate of the production of metals in this and other galaxies.
Lighter metals such as carbon and oxygen are produced in medium-size
stars and distributed by planetary nebula ejection and by white-dwarf
novas. The heaviest elements are made and distributed only in
supernovas. There are several different kinds of events, and each has
a different characteristic rate, and the rate for each event varies
from galaxy to galaxy. As a result, I haven't been able to find any
good numbers yet. I did find a textbook of cosmochemistry that looked
promising, but if the numbers I'm looking for were in there, they were
deeply buried in mathematics that I have yet to do the homework for.

Another way to estimate these rates is to look for a metallicity
gradient in redshift. How much richer in metal are nearby (older)
galaxies with respect to distant (younger) galaxies? I haven't yet
done any research in this direction. I don't even know whether it is
more difficult to measure metallicity from distant-galaxy spectra than
from individual star spectra.

In the absence of this information, I'm comfortable with the
assumption that most planetary systems formed before 4.6 gigayears ago
(when ours formed) were below the metallicity threshold required for
the spontaneous development of self-reproducing molecules.

If any astrophysicists or cosmochemists on the list know where to get
to the data that bear on this question (Amara?), I'd love to learn
more about it.

--
arkuat
--

Re: Why Would Aliens Hide?

Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury at www.aeiveos.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:14:53 -0800 (PST)

        [ Next ]In reply to: Eric Watt Forste Next in thread: Liam. A. Chu

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Eric Watt Forste wrote:

>  Perhaps Universe is so young that we are the first kids on the
>  block.

Doubtful, Kardashev points out in several of his articles that the age
of the universe is 2, perhaps 3 times the age of our solar system.

>  ... Lighter metals such as carbon and oxygen are produced in
>  medium-size stars and distributed by planetary nebula ejection and
>  by white-dwarf novas. The heaviest elements are made and distributed
>  only in supernovas. There are several different kinds of events,
>  and each has a different characteristic rate, and the rate for each
>  event varies from galaxy to galaxy.

The heavy metals get produced very rapidly, within a few hundred
million years of the formation of the galaxies (high H gas cloud
density leads to rapid formation of stars with M > 10 M_sun that go
supernova after very short lives).

>From Astronomy Today (1997):

      Star       Class     Mass     Luminosity      Lifetime
                         (M_sun)     (L_sun)        (years)
      Rigel      B8Ia       10         44000            20*10^6
      Sirus      A1V         2.3          23          1000*10^6
      A. Centuri G2V         1.1           1.4        7000*10^6
      Sun        G2V         1.0           1.0       10000*10^6
      P. Centuri M5V         0.1           0.6     1000000*10^6

So, the big stars burn very fast. Supernovas, I believe also throw out
a fair amount of C & O. I'm unsure of the relative contributions of
"life elements" by novas vs. SN but am fairly sure that you get
sufficient materials within the first couple of billion years to form
planetary systems that can support life. A more serious constraint
might be the gradual decline in nearby SN that would fatally damage
proto-genetic material. But we have discussed that extensively. And of
course Deinococcus radiodurans does show that life can be radition
tolerant.

>  I did find a textbook of
>  cosmochemistry that looked promising, but if the numbers I'm looking
>  for were in there, they were deeply buried in mathematics that I
>  have yet to do the homework for.

The best book, IMO, is "Nucleosynthesis and Chemical Evolution of
Galaxies" by Bernard E. J. Pagel, and you are right that the numbers
are probably buried in the math and a collection of astronomy papers.

>  Another way to estimate these rates is to look for a metallicity
>  gradient in redshift. How much richer in metal are nearby (older)
>  galaxies with respect to distant (younger) galaxies? I haven't yet
>  done any research in this direction. I don't even know whether it
>  is more difficult to measure metallicity from distant-galaxy spectra
>  than from individual star spectra.

It is more difficult, because the lines will be weaker and you will
need longer observation times. You probably also have an interesting
problem of an assortment of star ages in a galactic "point source" and
the line doppler shifting caused by stars rotating toward you and away
from you (in side on) galaxies. You may be limited to picking a
handful of stars of a specific spectral class and measuring the
average metal abundances in them. But since stars in our galaxy have
some really wide ranges of metal abundances (probably depending on
local space region history) extracting an overall accumulation of
metal profile for a galaxy seems really difficult.

This type of work has been done in globular clusters that seem to be
old (because the metal content is low). But this fails to consider
whether the metal content is low because they might have been mined.
If you need "rare" elements and are planning to be around for
trillions of years, it might make sense to construct "star-processing"
stations. You then run simulations of galactic orbital dynamics and
locate good sling-shot candidates whare a minor orbital tweek will
send the star out of the galaxy to one of the "star-processing"
stations (aka globular cluster). The stars we now see there are the
leftovers.

>  In the absence of this information, I'm comfortable with the
>  assumption that most planetary systems formed before 4.6 gigayears
>  ago (when ours formed) were below the metallicity threshold required
>  for the spontaneous development of self-reproducing molecules.

Bad bet, IMO. I'd push the threshold for planetary systems back to
8-10 Gyr. Keeping in mind that *if* star mining can occur on a large
scale, then the stellar age estimates based on metal accumulation will
be *underestimates*.

The problems the biotech people are going to have with the right and
left wing luddites are going to be small compared to the problems the
transhumanists are going to have getting the astrophysicists to
consider a "life-filled" universe.

Robert