[extropy-chat] logic game

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 06:43:49 UTC 2005

If you find yourself with a bit of time on your hands
and nothing to do, I discovered a cool and challenging
game one can do with a crossword puzzle.  Most daily
newspapers print a puzzle that is on the standard 15x15
grid.  It is too easy to challenge most here I suspect,
but try it without the grid.  Cut out the clues, get
a piece of graph paper and start working.  You can
easily figure out where the first blocks need to go.  If
there is a 1 across and the next across clue is number 5,
then the first across word has 4 characters, and the
fifth square must be a block.  Continue thus.  You will
find that it starts easy but becomes diabolically
difficult.  It also requires much more thought and
even some logic to figure out where the blocks go.  I
solved four of them without the grid yesterday.  I need
to get a life.