[extropy-chat] Who thinks the Bush admin liedoverIraq?Onwhatbasis?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 15 07:06:13 UTC 2005

Spike wrote:

>> > Those who have indulged in Monday morning quarterbacking
>> > the U.S. presidency sure make that job sound easy...
>>
>> ... It really
>> doesn't matter so long as they are rational and not obviously
>> mentally defective ...
>>
>> Brett Paatsch
>
> Brett, I am now thinking that anyone who would *want* that
> job would need to be irrational and obviously mentally
> defective.  Hmmm, I guess that's the problem.

Yup, if memory serves that paradox was recognized even when
Plato was writing The Republic.

ie. How do you get competent people to want to do the duties
and to take the opprobrium of leadership.

There is a quote from Ecclesiastes that I think Rupert Murdoch
is fond of. Something like let us give thanks or praise for famous
men that allow men of ability to sleep safe in their beds.

Brett