[extropy-chat] Dark matter and ET

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 15:46:51 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> [...]

I think the percentage is higher, and the expansion rate is much lower,
otherwise radiation and byproducts from drive exhausts should be
evident in the spectra of most galaxies, and furthermore, galaxies
would undergo exponential curves in conversion of hydrogen to helium 3
in excess of what would be expected by the star count.

Following long term trends of our own species, I project that posthuman
interstellar civilizations will be very environmentally concious and
will only occupy worlds (when they do occupy worlds), or disassemble
worlds, that are not life  bearing but are terraformable, or they will
occupy worlds that are not terraformable at all and unlikely to
encounter human-level or transhuman species unless those species
develop sufficient spaceflight to go out to find and meet them.

Most likely they will construct habitats from dust around orphan brown
dwarfs in interstellar space, both to be as hard to find (thermally
speaking) and as hard to reach as possible from G-class orbiting terran
worlds, which would cause only those species on the verge of
posthumanity themselves likely to find them.

Given what we've seen of extrasolar planets so far, with most being
super-jovians and brown dwarfs in highly eccentric orbits, and those
have only been detected so far by doppler shift of their primary, with
one loose brown dwarf being imaged directly so far, it seems clear that
even without dyson or matrioshka spheres around them, they are very
hard to find for beings at our level of development.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com