[extropy-chat] Wikipedia entry on the Proactionary Principle

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 02:46:10 UTC 2005

Ha ha ha, they always have some excuse to propose deletion. One more
example of attempts at editing consensus reality to suppress political
opinion they disagree with. Glad to see it was preserved.

Precautionary_Principle<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_Principle>,
> this article provides a needed balance.
> >From the entry: Dr. Max More
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_More>,
> philosopher, authored the text for the
> ethical<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical>principle that
> stipulates
> the following:
> * People's freedom to innovate technologically is highly valuable,
> even
> critical, to humanity. This implies several imperatives when
> restrictive
> measures are proposed: Assess risks and opportunities according to
> available
> science, not popular perception. Account for both the costs of the
> restrictions themselves, and those of opportunities foregone. Favor
> measures
> that are proportionate to the probability and magnitude of impacts,
> and that
> have a high expectation value. Protect people's freedom to
> experiment,
> innovate, and progress.*

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)