[extropy-chat] ET is a Bacterium was Dark Matter and ET.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 06:53:24 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just because we have a uniform genetic code doesn't
> speak anything to
> the origins of life. All it indicates is that a life
> form with that
> genetic code either arose first, or outcompeted
> other, less efficient
> or more flawed species of bacteria arose and
> exterminated everything
> else (just as all humans can be genetically traced
> back to one common
> ancestor who was not necessarily the first of his or
> her species and
> gender).

Yes all these things are possible but wouldn't there
be evidence of these "alternative" lifeforms? They
have microfossils dating to very early after the earth
solidified(~300 million years). These microfossils for
all intents and purposes resemble certain phyla of
modern bacteria. This is why your example doesn't
hold. You are right that we are fairly certain that
all modern humans decended from two individuals, there
are numerous fossils documenting all the other
homonids that we outcompeted to do so. These
evolutionary "alternative biology" losers ought to
have left some clues that they were here.

> At that early date in Earth's development, Earth's
> atmosphere was 52
> times thicker and denser than it currently is, which
> would reduce odds
> of meteoric/cometary material containing bacteria
> surviving reentry.

Not necessarily. If the spores were frozen into some
water ice, they would merely be dispersed by the
vaporization of the ice upon atmospheric entry. Then
they would float down way slower than any snowflake in
the 52x atmosphere.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson