[extropy-chat] Re: Cydonia region of Mars.

david stiger stiger420 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 00:32:30 UTC 2005

>Secondly, why doesn't a discovery as seemingly important as the
>Cydonia region of Mars get more attention from NASA?

It did get closer attention, at higher resolution, and was found to be
just another clump of hills. Attention then shifted for the same reason
that scientists don't regard New Hampshire's Old Man of the Mountain a
sign from an alien race or ancient civilization. "The Face" only looks
like one from a certain angle and certain shadows, it is an artifact of
geology and not a sculpture.

So now answer my question: since the info about the higher resolution
photos has been out there for a few years now, they've been rigorously
ignored or denied by Face cult adherents. Why?

Actually I was referring to the fact that the Cydonia region shares some
very precise geometrical features with Washington DC and the fact that this
region seems to sit right on an area that would have been just above the
primitive "sea-level" making it a perfectly plausible region for ancient
civilizations to inhabit.  I am very skeptical of the images as well, but I
am still left wondering why more stereo imaging is not done of the whole
region.  Don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate your input and I do in
fact look forward to reading your response to this.  Also, erosion could
definitely have made this structure appear to be only a lump of hills, after
all the Sphinx is eroding and it's not nearly as old, nor is it on
completely desert planet with little to no atmosphere.

You can check out the geometrical relationship on this website. (I realize
it is full of theories that may or may not be even close to reality, but the
images I am referring to are there, you just have to scroll down a bit)
Remember that Washington D.C. began construction in 1791, and became the
nation's capital in 1800 but we did not have satellite images of Cydonia
until 1976.

http://www.startinglinks.net/cydoniaufo/WASHINGTON%20DISTRICT%20OF%20CYDONIA/