[extropy-chat] (no subject)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 20 15:59:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:38:43PM +0000, Evan Hamlin wrote:

> Wow I stop reading for a matter of days and return to find that you guys
> have snuffed the fire of curiosity out of someone. I am disgusted at the

While the reply was harsh, the tone sent a message of its own.
I really don't need a yet another KonspiracyKooks/Forteana list, thanks.

Suggestions to filter are similiarly without merit: we shouldn't have to.

> nature of some of the replies to David Stiger's reasonable and polite
> request to hear opinions on Freemason theory. If it is as ludicrous as some
> of you have indicated, then why is it still around? Besides that, we are

Because people's capacity for idiocy is unlimited. While we all should
keep an open mind, it shouldn't be open enough for the brain to fall out
and go splat.

> meant to be renowned for an unprecedented level of open-mindedness and
> prospicience. Not to say that I necessarily agree with freemason conspiracy
> theory, but after the manner with which you brutally put down his ideas, it
> sure makes people think twice about posting potentially interesting
> theories or topics of discussion.

You do have a point here. The putdown was perhaps unnecessarily brutal.
While we don't have much tolerance for conspiracy theories, on-topic
posts are very welcome.

> An extra thanks to Amara and Mike for their open-mindedness and courtesy.
> It appears that being a brain doesn't necessarily do much for one's people
> skills. I guess I shouldnt be expecting to see apologies anytime soon
> either.
>
> PS: For some reason it seems that my posts are not being threaded correctly
> in the archives (where I prefer to read instead of receiving a billion
> emails, and yes I know about the digest). Everytime I post it starts a new
> thread, despite having an identical subject line. Anyone?

Threading uses MessageIDs in mail headers. If you don't reply to a message
and/or your MTA (Hotmail, are you?) doesn't retain the MessageID, the information
is lost.