[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Matthew Gingell gingell at gnat.com
Wed Jul 20 20:25:56 UTC 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 12:01 PM, Evan Hamlin wrote:

> Myself, I have gay friends and treat them no differently than any
> of my other friends.

You want to legislate against your straight friends too? Really?

> I'm sure dendrophelia has also existed for many years, but does
> that mean we should allow a man and a tree to marry?

This is a really, really stupid analogy. Are there people suffering
now because their tree doesn't have the legal standing to make
medical decisions for them when they are unable to make them for
themselves? Are there trees being turned away from hospitals because
they are not legally considered members of somebody's family? Are
there people paying more taxes than you would because they can't file
a joint return with their tree? Are there tree's trapped in
heartbreaking custody disputes because they have no legal
relationship to the child they have for years been raising and
sacrificing for as their own?

Don't pretend this is an abstract issue. This is real people in pain
that people like you have the power to stop.

> I hasten to admit that my example is extreme, but everyone has
> become so wrapped up in their politically correctness to admit the
> obvious: Homosexuality is not NORMAL.

Being over six foot tall isn't normal. Being white isn't normal.
Having an IQ over 100 isn't normal. Enjoying classical music isn't
normal. Who gives a damn about "normal?" What on Earth does it have
to do with whether we treat people like human beings or not?

> Perhaps I am being harsh, but I think people need to step back and
> reevaluate the situation.

Uh huh.

Matt