[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Evan Hamlin hamlin_e at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:24:25 UTC 2005

Samantha Atkins wrote:
>Laws do not make something normal they just strive to make things  more
>just and balanced.
>
>No.  It says that these relationships are just as deep, just as real  and
>that people of same sex orientation have the same rights as  everyone else
>including the right to have their relationships as  recognized and
>respected.

I must respectfully disagree. Laws do not state anything about how deep
relationships are, or whether they are as meaningful or anything like that.
They may be interpreted as such, but that would only be your interpretation
fit into the mold of your personal beliefs. What laws do is outline the
goals of a society. Saying that homosexuality occurs in X% of the world or
has been around for X thousand years is totally irrelevant. Murder has
occured for millions of years and continues to be carried out by a large
portion of the population, but is still made illegal. Why? Because we want
to discourage people from killing one another. We as a society think this is
undesirable behavior.

Mike Lorrey was correct in his defense of my meaning. They all have equal
rights to marry whomever they wish of the same sex. Additionally, they have
the right to be with whomever they want, male or female. What they don't
have is the blessing of society and the government, for whatever that is
worth (apparently quite a bit, mainly due to the social security benefits,
although I am mainly approaching this law as a societal symbol) to carry out
a relationship which may just as well be as deep as any of mine or yours,
but nonetheless goes against the grain of evolution. One simple reason is
that a society of purely homosexuals cannot exist without the natural
reproduction of heterosexuals (barring test tube babies, but is that the
kind of parentage we want future generations of children to have?).

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
If you think God exists and moreover this superintelligent creator of the
universe doesn't like gay marriage, you're religious.

This is a mailing list for people who want to grow tails, sprout wings,
switch
sexes, grow new sex organs, create new sexes, and upload themselves into
Jupiter Brains.  If you can't handle the concept of gay marriage, then what
the hell are you doing here?

PS:  Let the record show that this is the person who chided me for not being
open-minded when I expressed dissatisfaction with David Stiger's posting
quality.  (Ad hominem tu qoque.)

I said that I am non-religious, which obviously implies a disbelief in a
higher being which approves or disproves anything. I simply mentioned it for
the sake of mentioning it for anyone who cared. Religion was, used to, and
*sometimes* still is an indicator of societal norms, at least in the time
when their texts were written.

Moreover, I am totally up for growing tails, sprouting wings, creating new
sexes, and uploading my brain into who-knows-what. The following is kind of
hard to explain but I'll try. What I am saying is that so long as our
society has a set of laws which represent a moral code of our society, for
example making drugs illegal is a moral law more than anything else, we
should treat it as such. Personally, I would much prefer to see a set of
'laissez faire' laws replace the current ones, at which point laws will no
longer represent what is right and wrong, but simply what is legal and
illegal. When that happens, I would completely expect and accept "legalized"
homosexuality. Until that happens however, there should be some consistency
in our laws. I am with Mike in believing that ultimately, marriage should be
not be something which is licensed anyway. In such a case, opposition to gay
union would simply be an opinion with no legal ramifications, which is fine
with me.

In addition, opposing gay marriage is nothing like opposing inter-racial
marriage. The basis for my objection is evolutionary, not based on bigotry.
Interracial marriages make perfect sense in the Darwinian sense, and are in
fact often better (genes and memes and everything we already know). This is
an unfair analogy designed to make me look as closed minded as those who
opposed interracial marriages. I wont have it :P

In regards to David Lubkin's post:

This has already occurred. Today, dwarfism has become something which is
testable during gestation. However, the dwarf community (sounds like
something out of tolkein) strongly opposes legalization of these tests. They
claim that dwarves live healthy fulfilling lives and that to legalize the
test is.... discrimination? Profiling? Its hard to say in this context.

And for those who have asked me to define normal, perhaps I should rephrase
myself, since normal is an almost meaningless word (a washing machine
setting? I liked that).

Homosexuality is not something which society should promote in the same way
that heterosexual marriages are promoted via incentives (all the
aforementioned benefits).

Keep in mind folks, that those benefits are in place to promote the creation
of monogamous heterosexual families. Gay marriage/union should occur IN
SPITE of the law, not be promoted by it, especially if we are finding that
it could be the side effect of a virus, or the result of some kind of stress
(Due to the averseness to the word, I'll avoid putting 'abnormal' here).

But perhaps I'm really just shouting all this through the closet door. :)

-Evan
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why
several of us died of tuberculosis."