[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 02:11:29 UTC 2005

Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>>> Please point them out, Mike.  Many gay couples would seriously be
>>> interested.  I know of no way that a gay couple can contract for any
>>> of these items between themselves.  Even if they did, the contracts are
>>> not enforceable.  Third parties can and do deny these benefits on the
>>

> OK, Mike.  You are totally right.  Quite a number of these items can
> be contracted via a business partnership (like an S-corp).  I totally
> forgot about that possibility, even though I am currently in an
> S-corp.  This certainly does create a legal partnership between the
> members that given them rights or privileges in relationship to each
> other.
>
> I do object to some of the items that you claim can be solved, because
> I don't think they are solved by your suggestions.  I list these below
> for discussion purposes, but want to stress that these do not refute
> your overall claim.  I agree with your main premise, and found the
> majority of your suggestions very well thought out.

Being a member of an S-Corp requires some financial resources and
business smarts that -most people who just want to get married- don't
necessarily have.  Is it fair that only business-savvy people are
allowed to have marriage-relationships?  Are marriage relationships
really -only- financial arrangements?  How sad.

As long as we're social engineering, we have to look out for who we're
social-engineering - who benefits from our social engineering project.
The world where only wealthy well-educated people can enjoy the benefits
of marriage is a sad one indeed.

Robbie Lindauer