The Future of Love. was Re: [extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change, biology, last post, post, etc.

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Sat Jul 23 02:30:10 UTC 2005

> On Jul 21, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Al Brooks wrote:
>
>> Though I support all rights & full legal marriage for gays, it is
>> good to see reasonable dissenting views.
>

> Name one 'reasonable' dissenting view.

The only, I think, reasonable dissenting view would be the purely
religious objection that Marriage is a Sacred and Holy thing ordained by
God.

The only reasons to reject it are substantive ones for which there
aren't any obviously definitive arguments (prove "God doesn't exist." or
"God didn't ordain marriage" or "God doesn't care what people do",
etc.).  It's sufficient for a dissenting view to not have any definitive
arguments against it to call them reasonable.

However, I don't think such a position would necessarily carry over to
having any consequences for a secular government and though a dilution
of what is meant by "marriage" might occur (we'd just have to specify
what -kind- of married two people are - church-married or
not-church-married) this would really just be a continuance of the
already evolved meaning of the term.

With suprisingly high regards for all,

robbie lindauer