[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 03:35:33 UTC 2005

--- Robert Lindauer <robgobblin at aol.com> wrote:

> Robert Lindauer wrote:
>

> > Being a member of an S-Corp requires some financial resources and
> > business smarts that -most people who just want to get married-
> don't
> > necessarily have.  Is it fair that only business-savvy people are
> > allowed to have marriage-relationships?  Are marriage relationships
> > really -only- financial arrangements?  How sad.
> >
> > As long as we're social engineering, we have to look out for who
> we're
> > social-engineering - who benefits from our social engineering
> > project.  The world where only wealthy well-educated people can
> > enjoy the benefits of marriage is a sad one indeed.
>
> Let me make that into a question.
>
> If we wish to make marriage into a purely legal and financial affair
> akin to a partnership, should we simultaneously lower the bar
> sufficiently to make entering into a limited liability partnership as
> easy as getting married.

I don't know what you are talking about. I've set up S corps with very
little paperwork or assets. Depending on your state, the filing fees
can be less than $100. I've also set up partnerships, and co-operative
corporations. It doesn't take business savvy or special training or a
lot of money. There are companies you can find online to set up a
Delaware or Nevada partnership, LLC, Corporation, etc electronically
with no muss or fuss, you just fill out the simple forms online, no
blood tests or oaths before a justice of the peace.

> If we did such a thing, wouldn't it make the whole LLP/LLC construct
> nearly worthless?  Also imagine the legal mess it would create - as
> if divorce and business litigation weren't complicated enough -
> imagine if it was grounds for dissolving an LLC that your partner
> was sleeping with someone else!

Adultery isn't grounds for divorce in a number of states already,
however from a financial standpoint, a divorce is really not
significantly different than dissolving a Partnership. If you make
sexual fidelity to your partner a condition of your partnership
agreement (not that much different from a monk agreeing to chastity,
silence, etc to be a partner in the monastic community), then it is
merely one clause in a contract that must be enforced by the parties
involved.

Secondly, I don't see the need to get tricky looking at liability
limiting constructs. Liability limitation is another benefit that
government gives you for the right to incorporate. Don't incorporate,
partner up. Take responsibility for your actions.

And I want to thank Harvey for his open mindedness on all this. There
were a few things beyond Social Security, but they generally all fall
into the general area of social insurance (medicare/medicaid, etc)
which I regard as illegitimate government controlled coercive
monopolies to begin with. Someone who wants them, IMHO, generally is
not a pro-freedom person, so I'm not too put out that they are out of
reach of at least part of the population.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com