[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sat Jul 23 14:17:20 UTC 2005

On Jul 23, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Brent Neal wrote:

> Harvey,
>
> I think Mike's point is not that it is "not discrimination," but
> rather that it doesn't matter whether or not it is because everyone
> should take his position against government interference in private
> affairs.

That would be great.  if the government got out of the marriage
business and let any two people contract their own marriages.  When he
was arguing against gay marriage, I did not hear him also arguing
against heterosexual marriage.

> However, as to your list of benefits, as long as there is ONE item on
> that list, there is a problem in our government as far as I'm
> concerned.  While I'm all for limited government, I certainly don't
> believe right way to get there is to encourage "different amounts of
> government" for different types of people.  Equal opportunity, equal
> benefit, equal interference. :)

I agree totally.  This is totally about government interference
focussed at creating different classes of citizens of people with
different levels of recognition by the state.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP