[extropy-chat] Open Source Licensing - help!

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Sat Jul 23 18:10:31 UTC 2005

Getting something hosted on sourceforge is pretty simple.  I'm working
on open source software for prediction markets,
(sourceforge.net/projects/zocalo) and it didn't take long to fill out
the forms.  My software uses the MIT license,
(http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php) which is among the most
open and short licenses.  It allows people to use, re-use, or modify it
at will.  It does have this clause, which might be enough to satisfy
your desire for acknowledgment:

   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
   included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

That requires people to include your license with your code if they ship
it to others, but doesn't require a display banner at run time.  If your
code gets used in a server product, the end-users won't see your logo
anyway.

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org
http://mydruthers.com