[extropy-chat] Gay marriage in Spain, a world of change

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Jul 23 19:13:04 UTC 2005

Steinem's famous "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle"
is clearly wrong, from what I know of women and of men. And I rather doubt
that she still holds that opinion.

I was hunting recently for an analogy that I thought actually captured my
perspective succinctly. The best I've come up with is

"A woman without a man is like a pillow without a blanket." (Lubkin, 30 May
2005)

They are each fine and useful in of themselves, and have distinct
strengths. One can use a pillow as a blanket, or a blanket as a pillow, but
this is less satisfactory. A pillow with a blanket is a useful combination,
and is what is most often seen. But some prefer two pillows and no blanket,
or two blankets and no pillow. Some want several of each.

Beyond my personal preference for a single pillow and a single blanket, I
can present a rational argument for its superiority and "normalcy." But
such a case is just an intellectual exercise to me; in truth, whatever gets
people through the night is fine by me.

-- David Lubkin.