[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Tue Jul 26 03:18:48 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

(sermon clipped)

>He is surely a
>breed above the likes of the Dick Cheneys of the world
>in that Gates never killed anyone to make his fortune,
>whereas the only way Cheney et. al.  make their money
>is from the violent deaths of or, in the case of
>Enron, the wholesale robbery of others. Hell George
>Bush has probably killed more Texans than Santa Ana.

Amen!

>     The problem is that I don't know how you can
>discourage the Gateses and the Cheneys of the world
>without absolutely devastating the little guys that
>dream big and the small business owners.

I can think of a start.

1)  Put an end to government-run or government subsidized business
practices (you know, credit card companies, banks, the stock exchange,
etc.) including the taxation that supports them.  Without cookies in the
cookie jar, less people are going to be interested in getting into the
cookie jar.

2)  Strong independant Labor Unions for whatever remains of the federal
government with a decidedly antagonistic relationship between federal
employees and the elected officials who's bidding they are required to
do.  (Less action!)

3)  A fast-track impeachment process for those government employees and
elected representatives (including the president, senators, judges,
EVERYONE) even suspected of doing something wrong.  (Those in power
-should- be constantly defending their honor, keep 'em guessing!) and
SEVERE penalties for those caught - e.g. banishment or something.  This
would require establishing a permanent and independent counsel alongisde
the judiciary, legislation and executive branches.  The founding fathers
just made a crucial mistake when writing our constitution - who will
prosecute and appoint attorneys if the executive, judicial and/or
legislative branches are the ones under investigation?  It certainly
shouldn't be left to the president.

And finally a maybe (I haven't thought this through)...

4)  An annual federal referendum (along the lines of the state referendums).

Without the leverage of the state and federal governments, the
super-rich would not be able to maintain their wealth nor would new
super-rich people be created.

(Once again), I recommend a nice read of Meszaros' book "The Power of
Ideology" especially the chapter "Ideology and Autonomy" which gives a
pretty convincing critique and model for understanding the power
relationships between capital and government.  (PS - I don't sell books
nor am I likely to make any money from you unless you just feel like
sending me a check or something.)

Best wishes,

Robbie