[extropy-chat] Why I am No Longer a Libertarian Either...

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 05:26:03 UTC 2005

On Jul 26, 2005, at 3:44 PM, Al Brooks wrote:

> What about intellectuals-- can they be trusted? Would
> it be reasonable to say around 80% of professors are
> in it mostly for the salary and benefits? I certainly
> don't want to criticize the military-industrial
> complex if most intellectuals (professors at the top)
> are no more trustworthy.

Why?  If there are TWO ogres living together in a cave who demand three
virgins a month -or else- don't you have to go kill both ogres?

I particularly like this analysis, again from Meszaros, in the chapter
entitled "The Objective Constraints on Scientific Research"...

"It is symbolic of our age that the highest intellectual achievements
are rewarded with a large sum of money attached to a prize - the Nobel
Peace Prize - which represents the lucrative investment of the
fortunate amassed by the inventor of the greatest forces of destruction
known to man prior to the atom bomb...."

He goes on...

"One of the stubborn illusions with regard to the natural sciences
concerns their alleged 'objectivity' ... ascribed to them on account of
their experimental and instrumental character...  in reality the
opposite happens to be the case."

"What is at issue here is that since natural scientists must operate
within the framework of tangible (as well as costly) instrumental
complexes and supporting structures, they have to secure incomparably
more substantial material resources as the elementary condition of
their activity..."

"Since, however, 70 per cent of all scientific research in the United
States is controlled by the military/industrial complex ... one wonders
whose freedom and autonomy they are talking about in praising the
established..."

And relevant to this forum he quotes from T. Durhams "Fifth Generation
Forever"...

"Both the pace and complexity  of modern war have left the human
nervous system behind.   The US Department of Defense is one of the
mains sources of funds for AI research.   It is an uncomfortable fact
that AI research was kept health in the US through the 1970's by a
military establishment which, unlink business, can afford a few
failures...  For example, the cruise missile's Tercom guidance system,
which matches hills and valleys with an internalmap, is reportedly
unreliable.  But companies believed to have worked on the system are
now profiting from their expertise by marketing industrial vision
systems."

Because, in the end,

"In the capitalistically advanced countries all branches of science and
technology are brought into play in furtherance of the aims of the
powerful economic and political/organizational structures..."

"Trustworthy" is a word to be reserved for maybe your dog.  Maybe your
family, maybe your friends, certainly not the political propaganda
machine known as education.

>   I hesitate to discuss the illegal immigration issue.
>  Mexican families are now so plugged into America
> there is no chance of consensus to close the border to
> illegals, unless we get another big attack in the U.S.
>  Liberal friends wont discuss it at all, they clam up.

What do non-liberals want to do, pack them in containers and send them
home or just kill them outright and save the shipping expense?

> Some wont even admit terrorism exists. They don't
> argue, they merely scoff, "terrorism? what
> terrorism?"; the most they will say is America wont
> admit what it did in the past to the Mideast. then
> they change the subject & refuse to be drawn out.

Well, technically, it's not terrorism any more.  It's war that's come
to our shores.  It's just that our enemy is substantially smaller and
consequently has chosen very, very different means of achieving their
goals.  If we want to stop this war, we've got to find a way of making
peace.  "It's harder to make peace than war."  This will require
something other than bravado and shock-and-awe.   Remember that war is
not new to Iraqis or Afghanis.  Most of  this generation were raised in
countries at war and with the US nefariously at the helm of both.  They
regard our interference in their countries both economic and military
as covert acts of aggression and until we simultaneously fess up and
stop, we can expect the aggression to continue (that is what Bin Laden
said, anyway, in his statement available at pbs.org).  And objectively
speaking, it sounds right.  If you take war-raised kids as familiar
with guns and grenades as ours are with instant messaging and brittany
spears, have them grow up, explain to them that the US is predominantly
responsible for the death of their parents/uncles/sisters/brothers and
continues to be responsible for their poverty (and the case isn't hard
to make), hand them a grenade launcher and gun and welcome to why we
have war at our doorstep.  Necessity breeds invention, inevitably one
day one of the militarily oppressed would devise a way to have their
cause recognized and taking that directly to American civilians is the
natural conclusion for which no Ph.D. in military tactics is necessary.

>> I would estimate that where Georgism resides in the
>> left wing of
>> Libertarian territory, PROUTism is over the line in
>> solid left-liberal territory.

Well, Chomsky did put his stamp of approval on it.  Prout appears to be
a pragmatic pro-humanist attempt.  No doubt I'm a
proutist/leftist/communist/libertarian/liberal/anarchist/pragmatist.

Robbie Lindauer