[extropy-chat] Eminent Mike's domain

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 12:02:21 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Eminent Mike's domain
> >
> > Thanks everybody for the support...
> > >
> > > To hear what Mike had to say...
> > >
> > > RealPlayer: http://www.nhpr.org/audio/audio/ex-2005-07-27.ram
> > > Windows Media: http://www.nhpr.org/audio/audio/ex-2005-07-27.wax
>
> Mike's bit is minutes 11 thru 17.  Interesting program.
>
> One thing Mike brought out that I had not realized is
> that the SCOTUS ruling requires the em-domer to pay the
> *assessed* value of the property, not the market value.
> How would that work in Taxifornia?  Our prop 13 specifies
> that the tax basis of a property is set by the price at
> the time of purchase, then increases 2% per year thereafter.
> After a few years the market value is higher than the
> assessed value by a dramatic margin.

When interviewed by a newspaper reporter last evening, he pointed out
that people really get paid the "fair market value". I responded that
"fair market value" is not "real market value", it is the price the
state offers you with a gun pointed at your head.

To be fair, as one of the lawyers pointed out, here in NH, they also
provide, in the case of businesses being displaced, up to $100k in
migration expenses, which would be useful for any small to moderate
home based business.

> We could make a fortune that would make Gates' paltry
> billions pale in comparison merely by seizing ordinary
> residential real estate at assessed value then selling
> it utterly without investing in any improvements at
> market value.  The public is served in a sense: the tax
> basis is reset to the sales price, so Taxamento collects
> on a much higher value.  So why couldn't I just go down
> my street and apply to seize every home on it?  Why not
> the entire Silicon Valley?  (cue maniacal laughter)

Exactly, which is the example we are trying to set with our project.
Justice Kennedy has property in Sacramento, I am told. I don't know if
anybody out there is pursuing a similar strategy toward his property
there. While most of the Justices are easily millionaires, if their
property is underassessed to begin with, they could see a serious hit
that even a millionaire would blanche at.

You likely heard on the show one reactionary caller trying to imply I
am some sort of terrorist for pursuing this project on the supremes
property, and the state lawyer chimed in with concern about retribution
for his own activities. It's about time these people felt some heat.
Few courts these days will issue mandamus liabilities against
government employees for failing to do their jobs right.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com